grandTrunkIn 1979, the last of the town’s railroad stations, a Grand Trunk Railroad Combination Depot built around 1911, was scheduled for demolition. An old railroader, Ray Anderson, and then Town Council Member Merle Colby, spearheaded a drive to purchase the building for $50 and move it off railroad property. Community organizations, among them Community Spirit and the Griffith Junior Women’s Club, coordinated a town-wide effort to raise the funds to purchase the building and move it off railroad property. It was moved to its original site in January, 1980, and after months of renovation, was dedicated in October, 1982, as a museum in tribute to Griffith’s railroading past. In 2004, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Indiana Registers of Historic Sites and Structures.