pullmanThis car was built in 1943 by the Pullman Standard Company to transport military troops throughout the country during World War II. The car was equipped with bunks for sleeping, stacked three-high, which converted into seating for daytime travel. After the war, the car was purchased by the Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railway and used as a maintenance-of-way car, primarily to transport men and equipment to wrecks and derailments. In its final years with the “J”, it was used to store tools and equipment before being donated to the Park in May, 1996. Displayed inside the car are many of the tools used by section crews and other railmen.